Bringing Baby Home
Saturday and Sunday, October 5th and 6th from 9 - 4:30pm
Even the strongest relationships are strained during the transition to parenthood. Lack of sleep, never-ending housework and new fiscal concerns can lead to profound stress and a decline in marital satisfaction — all of which affect baby’s care. Not surprisingly, 69% of new parents experience conflict, disappointment, and hurt feelings.
Our research-based Bringing Baby Home workshops prepare couples for life with baby and helps them be the best parenting team possible. In a relaxed and supportive environment, parents learn to strengthen their relationship and foster baby’s development during this challenging time. They build on what Dr. Gottman and colleagues found is the best predictor of marital adjustment after baby arrives: the quality of friendship in the marriage.
This workshop combines scientific research and public education to improve the quality of life for babies and children by strengthening their families. It teaches new parents how to gain relationship satisfaction and create healthy social, emotional, and intellectual development for their children. Click here to learn more about Dr. Gottman’s parenting research.
Couples will come away from this workshop with:
- Reseach-based and research-tested strategies to help you cope constructively with the changes that come after the birth of a child.
- Answers to questions you don’t even know you have about maintaining the quality of your relationship and building a strong and healthy family after baby comes.
- Strategies for specific situations that arise in those early weeks and are shown by research to deminish the happiness and satisfaction of your relationship and parenting experience.
- A book that you can pull at out 3am when the going gets tough.
- Card decks and activities to support and reinforce the skills you learn in this workshop
This workshop is very inclusive; couples from all walks of life are welcome and valued. The model won’t really work for one single parent to attend on her/his own, unless they bring someone (even a grandparent) who will partner with them in a raising the child.
It is our heart-felt goal is to make everyone welcomed with open arms.
You are welcome to bring a sack lunch or go explore the restaurants in San Marcos during the 1.5 hour lunch break.
The cost per couple is $299 for the entire workshop including the Bringing Baby Home workbook and card decks.